25 August 2010

How to make transparent gradient on clothes

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Someone asked me how to make this effect on clothes. So I thought that the best thing would be to make a tutorial to help all the people who don't know how to do this.
It's really a simple trick. :)
I will explain how to do it in Photoshop CS5 but similar thing can be done in other versions...


To be able to do this you have to have body base and clothes on separate layers.


So let's start. :)

 - In layers palette select the layer with the clothes on which you want to apply effect.
 - Click 'Add layer mask' button in the bottom of the layers palette
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Layer mask is very useful layer. It can help us to 'mask' or hide part of the layer. We can do that by selecting layer mask and painting on it. Painting white colour shows the layer content and black hides it. If we use some shade of grey, layer will be transparent...

 - Select gradient tool in toolbar
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

 - Make sure that you have set the same setting as me (it's the default settings and selected gradient type is the first in the list)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

- Select the colours for gradient.
- I selected a grey as a start colour because if I selected black, the bottom of the dress would be invisible and I want only that it is transparent...
- As the second colour for gradient make sure to select white.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


 - Select layer mask
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now we apply gradient to mask layer.
 - Place the mouse cursor below the edge of the clothes that you want to be most transparent
- Click and hold the left mouse button and drag the line until the point where you want transparency to stop
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

- Release the mouse button

And that's it. All done. :)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I hope that I explained everything. Tell me if I missed something or if you need help. :)

2 comments: